October is internationally recognised as the Breast Cancer Awareness Month and as most of you guys would have noticed, many products have turned ‘pink’ this month to support the cause.
For those who have followed my channel since the start would have watched my ‘Barbie Makeup Tutorial – Think Pink for Breast Cancer’ around this time last year. This year, I’ve decided to do a blog giveaway in order to help raise awareness.
Breast cancer is cancer originating from the breast tissue and makes up 22.9% of all cancers in women worldwide.
In Australia, there are many different breast cancer organisations; such as The National Breast Cancer Foundation, McGrath Foundation, Cancer Council’s Pink Ribbon Day, The Think Pink Foundation and Breast Cancer Australia. Please check them out!
Here are some quick facts about breast cancer taken from The National Breast Cancer Foundation FAQ page:
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women in Australia.
- One in nine women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime.
- By 2015, 15,409 women are projected to be diagnosed with breast cancer in Australia every year – an average of 42 women every day.
- Australian women diagnosed with breast cancer have an 88% chance of surviving 5 years after diagnosis relative to the general population of women in Australia.
- Improvements in survival are attributed to earlier detection of breast cancer through population-based mammography screening and improved treatment outcomes for breast cancer.
- Increasing age is one of the strongest risk factors for developing breast cancer. About three out of four breast cancer cases occur in women aged 50 years and older.
- On average, seven women die from breast cancer every day in Australia. Finding breast cancer early increases the chance of surviving the disease.
- Of the 14,204 women predicted to be diagnosed with breast cancer in 2011, over 800 are expected to be less than 40 years old.
- Although rare, breast cancer can also affect men, accounting for approximately 1 in 125 cases.
So as you can see, breast cancer is a wide-spread disease and greatly affects not only the sufferers, but also their family and friends. My family has also been personally affected by breast cancer, as two of my great aunts died from it
That’s why it is so important to help fund research into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer. And only through research may we hope to one day find a cure.
It doesn’t matter if you donate money or just buy a pink ribbon – every little bit helps.
These are some of the pink products I bought from work last week. I’m still waiting for the Pink Ribbon Day products to come into the store so I can also purchase some ribbons, pins and other merchandise.
Not much to say other than this is a nice hot pink shower scrub!
This ‘Think Pink’ rubber ducky is super cute! ^___^ Although I don’t have a bathtub in my bathroom, I couldn’t resist buying it, it even flashes different colours!
Dr Lewinn’s hand & nail cream is one of my favourite hand creams, because it smells great and has a multi-purpose formula containing aloe vera and vitamins A, B and E. It not only moisturises the hands but also conditions the nails.
As a special for October, the normally $19.95AUD hand cream is on special for only $9.95 and 50c from every sale will be donated to the McGrath Foundation.
As I already have a full tube of this lovely hand & nail cream, I will be giving it away as a prize for my very first blog giveaway! Keep reading to see how you can win
This giveaway is very easy. Simply share the link of this blogpost on any social networking site of your choice – whether it be your Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr etc, in order to spread the word about breast cancer awareness.
And then fill out the form at the end of this post, including your name and e-mail address. And in the ‘Comment’ section, please indicate which website you shared my post on (you don’t have to give me the link, eg: you can just say ‘Facebook’). This is all based on an honesty system because I trust you guys ^___^
You don’t actually have to follow/subscribe to my blog in order to enter this giveaway, because this post and giveaway is not about me, it’s about spreading breast cancer awareness. However, if you do decided to subscribe, it is much appreciated!
The deadline of this giveaway is 12:00am EST on October 31st 2011 and it is open internationally! However, if you are under 18, please get your parents’ permission before you enter as I will have to ask for your postal details if you are the winner.
Afterwards I will pick the winner using random.org and announce it in a blogpost.
Good luck everyone and remember to Think Pink for breast cancer!
- Miss Pixie Lulu